

**AAR-WR Executive Committee Meeting
November 9, 2012 via Conference Call**

Souad Ali: Calls meeting to order. Present: Souad Ali, Susan Maloney, Sara Frykenberg (attending in her capacity as Annual Conference Manager), Philip Boo Riley and Franz Metcalf.

1) Operating Agreement

Metcalf: Reports on updates to Operating Agreement: He has completed inputting the changes discussed, including one line of text and page number errors. Poses the question: Are we good with this now?

Ali: Rebecca suggests that we should now move forward sending to National, so that we can send it to the membership for voting. If we approve this, then it will be the final approval since board already approved this.

Metcalf: Believes Executive Committee can consider this approved if not interested in making any big changes. But he asks if we need to make any big changes. If so, need to take this back to the Board. Metcalf Suggests one change that might need to consider: language about elections. Elections language for Regional Coordinator as different from all other elected positions. Metcalf reminds the Executive Committee that this brings up the issue of changing all the language for the voting. Notes, we have to take any major changes back to the board.

Ali: Thinks we should leave other election language as it is, only accept changes already approved for the Regional Coordinator position. Asks what everyone else thinks about this.

Maloney: Aside from the argument for consistency, we need to go back to the practices of our region. And the practice has been to appoint [the Regional Coordinator position] from the board. Suggests that the Executive Committee does not need to take this back to the board, but that it can. If so, suggests we present two plans:

1. Plan A: Officers elected in this way [ordinary election, as described in the Operating Agreement], with the exception of the Regional Director.
2. Plan B: Change all election/ voting language.

Explains reasons behind the differences in election of the Regional Director, including amount of work in the position that goes beyond the job description. This really needs to be done by the board. Suggests that she is going to come back to the board after she is no longer a member and propose that the new Regional Coordinator needs more compensation [than the \$500 currently allotted].

Riley: There is no disputing what Susan said. We settled this last time. Suggests that the issue at hand is whether or not at this juncture want to say anything about process of elections in the Operating Agreement. Do we need to say something further about the process of elections?

Metcalf: Notes language existent for voting.

Frykenberg: Feels this exception is not a problem—suggest particular policy can be in perhaps, in the Policy and Procedure document.

Ali: I think we are all in agreement. Asks Susan how to proceed next with Operating Agreement.

Maloney: Explains next step is to send this to AAR National; and then, back to the Membership.

Ali: Reiterates that if we do not have any major changes, unnecessary to take this back to the board.

Executive Committee approved changes made to the Operating Agreement—Maloney is to send Operating Agreement onto AAR National

Maloney: Explains that it will be important for the new Regional Coordinator to know that she had to sign the contract for Sara [the Annual Conference Manager Contract.] The position has legal ramifications.

Riley: Asks if the Operating Agreement really goes to the membership?

Ali: Yes, Susan?

Maloney: I think you are right. But notes that she cannot check as she does not have the material in front of her. Further suggests, that Executive Committee needs to go back to the minutes from the meeting in March to see if the Executive Committee was given the right to make these changes and approve the agreement.

Riley: I can't find in the Operating Agreement, that we need to send this to the membership.

Maloney: Boo, I'm going to send this to Deborah [at AAR national], she hands it over to lawyer, and we need to ask this question. Would you phrase this question that we need to send to Deborah and send it to me?

Riley to send the following question to Maloney: "Does the operating agreement need to have language related to how it is approved and revised? Currently it seems like it does not. We ask because several of us had assumed that it would go to the AA/WR membership for a vote to endorse adopting it." Maloney will forward this question to Deborah at AAR National.

Ali: Notes that she will go back to the minutes of the business meeting of AAR WR to recall what decision was made regarding the Executive Committee's ability to make changes to the operating agreement.

Metcalf: I have one more concern for way that elections were described. The way it phrased is that officers are elected at a meeting of members where quorum is met. We have not defined what a quorum is. Suggests difficulty of this definition, particularly for the possibility of online voting.

Maloney: Suggests that we remove language regarding a quorum.

Ali: Poses question of taking language regarding a quorum to the Executive Committee.

Riley: States that the Operating Agreement does define this and reads definition.

Susan: That is the language from the lawyer.

Franz: Then my concern is moot.

2. Policies and Procedures Document

Riley: Reports that he has retrieved Rebecca's documents. Discussed this with Franz and they agreed that we need to remove a large portion of it that repeats the Operating Agreement. He is collecting questions that will need to be addressed in the Policies and

Procedures document, e.g. whether we need to have a senior scholar leading units. He recommends that the Executive Committee tell the board next week at the AAR National Meeting that it is working of this, but not make a draft available for this November Board Meeting—wait until March meeting of the Board at the Regional Meeting.

Ali: I'm glad you mentioned scholars here—I think this is important. Susan, what do you think about joining the [current co-chairs of the] Catholic section? Expresses the importance of this issue. Suggests that Riley double check on Units with no scholars as chairs or co-chairs so that we try to resolve that problem.

Maloney: Explains that she will pursue this option after wrapping up her current Regional Director responsibilities. Regarding the Policies and Procedures Document, Maloney suggests that everyone keep a line item of all of their activities and that this list will become a job description. She notes the particular importance of clarifying the expectation of the Faculty Liaison in the institution, as well as for the newly formed Annual Conference Manager position

Frykenberg: Agrees with Maloney. Reports that she has been in the process of doing this already.

3. Website Issue:

Maloney: Explains that the national office will not give detailed IT support. They will not provide a person for regional IT work.

Ali: They will only give us a logo.

Maloney: Can I suggest that we bring this to the Board meeting [next week]?

Souad: Asks the EC is they agree to this.

Executive Committee agrees to discuss the issue of the Website at the AAR WR Board meeting at the AAR National conference next week.

4. Request for Help for Regional Booth at AAR

Maloney: I would like to send this request to the board again—because we want someone from the region.

Ali: I would be happy to do this.

Metcalf: If you do this, bring paperwork with you to occupy yourself, because it is not a lot of action.

5. Financial Report from Susan

Maloney: Notes that Executive Committee all has the report. Any questions about this?

Riley: Would you mind if I take this and create a tentative budget for the 2013 meeting?

Maloney: Thought she sent a tentative one... [Riley cannot find it]

Riley: I'll send you an email to get this—Expresses that he would like to translate her items into his own report.

Metcalf: States that he will send the budget from last year as well.

6. Preparation for 2013 Arizona Conference

Riley: Reports that is going to do a hand off at the end of the month to Frykenberg; and that have been communicating about this. He has text for the program and will send it to

Sara, and she will start to hassle chairs about things... his projection is that we are down 4 panels from Santa Clara. He couldn't find data from last time we were in AZ.

Ali: I had 34 last year.

Riley: I am confident that we will have at least 30. Not all panels have 4 presenters.

Frykenberg: Reports that has been in communication with Riley regarding these issues.

Reiterates that she is willing to help tracking down any other sections chairs. Plans to meet with Riley at the National Conference next week and proceed from there.

Ali: States that would like to consider room issues in this conversation. Suggests meeting be held at the memorial union, which is prepared for a conference, but notes that these rooms not free. She may be able to get with this, as cost will be \$1800 total for these rooms.

Riley: If we can avoid this we should, because don't have a line in our budget for this. Metcalf agrees.

Souad: Will talk to ASU about possible contribution towards this expense, and agrees that the Western Region cannot pay for this.

Metcalf: Clarifies that we had 34 panels in 2010.

Ali: So I will tell them that we need 6 rooms.

Franz: Suggests that we add to this some kind of foyer', for set up and registration.

Ali: Explains that the memorial union set up for a conference and particular amenities. States that in 2010, conference was in Social Sciences building (Metcalf and Riley express that they liked this space).

Riley: I have one more thing. The new thing this year is a pool of papers that are not used. Raises question: if we are interested in maximizing number of papers, should we have a non-unit session?

Ali: Suggest that can incorporate groups.

Riley: Clarifies that this would be more like a wild card session.

Ali: Checks with Riley regarding status of possible Special Session for the Islamic Unit.

Riley: [Chair of the Islamic group] wants 4 panels.

Ali: Can we approve this?

Riley: Yes. ... We have plenty of room.

Ali: Then we don't need to have special session [for the Islamic group] if we can approve [the four panels]. Explains that we will also be going ahead with doing one panel for Buddhist section, with only one paper. Also agrees to Boo's suggestion of grouping extra papers from the pool into a session.

Riley: I'm taking away from this, that everyone supports the idea of creating in a Wild Card session.

Metcalf: But five papers are too many papers for a regular session.

...

Riley: It comes down to: do we want these people to come to conference and pay conference fees.

Metcalf: Yes.

Ali: This issue of four panels will become problematic if get too many of these, so we should bring this back to the Board.

Riley: Sara, you and I can work on this.

7. Update on Nominations

Ali: The deadline for nominations has passed. Dirk is only nominee. We have to take this to the board and vote on him. Should we invite him?

Maloney: My recommendation is this: that this should be the top/ first item [at the Board meeting next week]. Explains that this means the Board can vote on Dirk appointment, and if approved, he can join the Board meeting.

Executive Committee agrees to this.

Maloney: Souad, when you send agenda to the Board you might want to right up that this is the board's suggestion. Most people know Dirk. Explains that if Ali gives the Board notice of this, then if they have any disagreements or issues with the nominee this can be discussed ahead of time.

Ali will include this information in her update to the Board this week regarding the location and agenda for the AAR WR Board meeting.

8. Thank to Susan Maloney for her six years of excellent service as Regional Director/ Coordinator

Ali: Suggests Susan as past regional-elected coordinator help both the new REC as well as the executive committee in the transitional period given her extensive experience.

Asks if Executive Committee agrees and if Maloney is willing to do this.

Maloney: Yes. But she thinks the position should be described in such a way as to make clear she would be an advisor (not on the Board). She is also open to having phone calls.

9. Agenda for Annual Meeting

Ali: At this point we are updating.

Riley: Asks about adding conference fees to the agenda.

Ali: We can put this on if you want.

Riley: I have, and am going to send you a one-page document that is the Executive Committee's recommendation for fees this year. He requests email feedback from the Executive Committee this week before he sends this recommendation to the rest of the Board. Also, reminds the Executive Committee that main discussion item and one of the unresolved issues was how much to increase the fee for graduate students. We only increased it \$5, but they are the biggest group.

Metcalf: And we have been operating at a deficit...

Riley: Asks everyone take a look at this and provide him with some feedback.

Ali: States that will send update to Board about meeting location and revised agenda.

Asks Frykenberg when she will have minuets prepared for review.

Frykenberg: I will send the minuets later today.

Meeting adjourned: 10:59 am.